On August 2, 1776, 56 delegates from the different colonies signed the Declaration of Independence in Philadelphia, Pa. By signing this document, these men were putting their lives at risk. They were publicly announcing to King George that they were patriots to the American cause and therefore, traitors to the British Crown. They could be hunted down and hung by the British army. What would make someone willing to do this?
Here is your task:
- Click on the larger Google Map below.
- Click on the names of each of the signers of the Declaration of Independence.
- Write down their occupation.
- How many were doctors, lawyers, farmers or brewers?
- Choose one person you found particularly interesting.
- Click on “Leave a Comment”.
- Summarize information about this person in your comment. Who was he? How old was he at the signing? What was his occupation? What was an interesting fact about him?
- Type your response and remember to sign your first name ONLY and class.
- You have twenty minutes to complete this task.